Thursday, May 27, 2010

lucky, lucky me


Meet Kevin. His nickname is Spoke. 
Many moons ago, we were at the Dallas Ft. Worth Airport and had just checked in at the long-term parking terminal.  I don't remember where we were going but it was our first domestic flight requiring photo identification.
 
You know that moment when you realize something dreadful has happened?  Suddenly everything seems to stand still and you can't breathe.  In that split second, I knew I did not have my passport or my driver's license with me.  Spoke knew by the look on my panicked face.
It's just a domestic flight!
But the rules had recently changed and I was now required to show some bad-hair-day photo before being allowed to board the plane.  Home was an hour away, even with a strong tailwind. 
So, what does Spoke do?  Lays one right on my cherry-red lips and says, "I'll get back as fast as I can," and he rushes out the door. 

According to all the employees in the terminal, they'd seen many a wife forget her ID but they'd never seen a husband react the way he did.
 
Luckily, the flight was delayed and Spoke made it back with a few seconds to spare.  You know though.......even if we had missed it and there were no other flights that day.......I'm sure I'd have still gotten that kiss.




Rum Raisin Cookies
Something not so sweet for a super sweet guy. Happy Anniversary, Babe.


1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tablespoons rum
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups dark raisins

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, toss the raisins with a couple of large spoonfuls of the flour mixture and set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and continue to mix until they are thoroughly incorporated into the butter. Add the rum and briefly stir.

Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl and on the lowest setting, stir just until the flour is combined with the butter. Pour in the raisins and give the dough a quick stir. Chill the dough (in the mixing bowl) for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350*F.
Drop large spoonfuls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake 9 to 10 minutes. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.





No comments:

Post a Comment