Monday, March 7, 2011

oh happy day























As predicted, the first thing cooked on the new cook top was an omelet.  A sweet, Spanish onion omelet for Spoke.  His favorite. 

I planned to eat later; merely an excuse to cook again... 

Such fun it is!  Feeling rather like I did when I was sixteen and finally had that long-awaited, driver's license in hand, prodding my parents hourly with, "Need milk?  Need anything?  Wanna go for a ride?"

The world was my oyster then; now the oyster is my world.   

Maybe I'll heat myself some soup.  See if SIMMER really means simmer. 

Then later, I'll make a bowl of late-night popcorn and watch a yummy film.  I pop corn the old-fashioned way.  It's healthier so you can splurge now and then, drizzling a little butter on top. 

I like to infuse the butter with rosemary... 

When I was nine or ten years old, I announced one night at the dinner table, that I was going to change my name to Rosemary.  I'd heard it was possible.  That was great to know because felt like a Rosemary.



Popcorn with Rosemary Butter

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons of canola oil
1/2 cup popcorn
salt

Wash and dry two sprigs of fresh rosemary. 
Remove the leaves from one stem, chop them very fine and set aside.

In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter over low heat, adding one sprig of rosemary to the pan.
Keep it warm, jabbing at the rosemary now and then to infuse the butter.

Preheat a stock pot until it is very hot, then add 2 tablespoons of canola oil. 
Throw in 5 popcorn kernels, cover, and listen.  

When all five kernels have popped, remove the lid and add 1/2 cup of popcorn to the pot. Cover again, shaking the pan to coat the kernels with oil. 

Cook over medium high heat until the popping stops. Remove the pot from the heat.

Discard the sprig of rosemary from the pan of melted butter.

Transfer the popcorn to a bowl, drizzle it with the warm butter, sprinkle with the chopped rosemary, and salt to taste.  Toss to coat.




Sit back and enjoy a movie.

Highly recommended while eating Popcorn with Rosemary Butter:  MOSTLY MARTHA

(Don't miss the last, very therapeutic scene.)


















No comments:

Post a Comment