Thursday, December 6, 2012

something in the air


Spoke's grown accustomed to the smell. 

I'm reminded; you know that great tune, don't you?   

    I've grown accustomed to his face...
 
 
Large, creamy-white heads of cauliflower continue to find their way into our kitchen and when they're thrown into a hot oven with cloves of garlic and all of it is doused with olive oil, something magical happens, as it does in the song. 
 
I've grown accustomed to the trace
of something in the air...
 

You may not think much of cauliflower but roast half a head and you're bound to change your mind.  The little bundles will be darkly caramelized, delicious as a side dish just the way they are or try tossing the hot florets with fusilli as I did tonight while singing along...  


I've grown accustomed to his face
He almost makes the day begin
I've grown accustomed to the tune
He whistles night and noon 
His smiles, his frowns, his ups, his downs
Are second nature to me now
Like breathing out and breathing in
 
I was serenely independent and content before we met
Surely I could always be that way again and yet
I've grown accustomed to his voice
Accustomed to his face
 
I've grown accustomed to his face
He almost makes the day begin
I've gotten used to hear him say
Good morning every day 
His joys, his woes, his highs, his lows
Are second nature to me now
Like breathing out, breathing in
 
I'm very glad he's a man and so easy to forget
Rather like a habit one can break and yet
I've grown accustomed to the trace of something in the air
Accustomed to his face   
 
 
 
 
 
 Roasted Cauliflower
 
 
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
 
Line a half-sheet pan or a rimmed cookie sheet with foil.
 
Cut a head of cauliflower in half, preserving one half for later use.  Rinse the half-head under cold water, set on a clean towel and pat dry.  Cut out the toughest part of the core and discard.  Cut the florets from the stem and slice each in half. 
Place them cut side down on the pan.
 
Trim the pale green stems and the darker leaves from the core, chop them into smaller pieces and scatter them among the florets.  Drizzle all with olive oil. 
Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. 
 
Cover with top foil and bake for half an hour.  The cauliflower will have steamed and should be limp and cooked through.  Remove the foil and continue to bake, 30 to 45 minutes more, until browned and caramelized on the bottom.
 
Serve as they are or add to a bowl of hot,
al dente fusilli which has been tossed with great olive oil. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face 
from My Fair Lady   1956
music, Frederick Loewe  lyrics, Jay Lerner
I've Grown Accustomed To His Face, version by Diana Krall

 

No comments:

Post a Comment