Saturday, January 12, 2013

more like a piece of him


I received an email from a friend today, with an attachment; 100 Great Photographs.  Since a hundred is an awful lot to view, I'm going through them a few at a time.

This is #95.  It is the old Metropolitan Opera House. 

The stage curtain was gold, almost bronze, the fabric patterned.

I've framed a swatch of it, a gift from my dad which was included in the Opening Nights At The Met gala's promotional recording he purchased when the opera house moved to Lincoln Center. 
 
It hurts that I can't show him this photograph and once again hear about his evenings at the old Met.  He saw many operas there, even met a few of the stars.  Those were happy days for him.

I'm going to try to be happy tomorrow for he'd want it that way. 

I'm thinking I'll spend the afternoon listening to one of his favorites, Puccini's La Boheme or Verdi's La Traviata. Either will make me cry, I know.  I'll just pretend the tears are for Mimi or Violetta.





National Archive Photo
Metropolitan Opera House


No comments:

Post a Comment