Monday, June 7, 2010

dream

Say nighty-night and kiss me..........

You know it, right?
A line from Dream A Little Dream Of Me, made famous by Louis, Ella, Doris Day and later, Mama Cass. But who is that singing it on Bonnie Ruth's website? (http://www.bonnieruths.com/)

I was checking out the cafe's menu when I first heard the brief clip. I really liked it and although I wanted to know who recorded it, I can't say that I lost any sleep over not knowing. Not for a day anyway.

Then there I was in the shower, singing that song. Cooking, still singing that song. Driving around town, yes, still. So, who is it? Someone, please tell me before I go mad!

Liking the menu, I stopped by the restaurant, wanting to check it out as a possible choice for a small birthday celebration. Loved it. It's got a great cafe vibe and a casual sense about it. I settled in at the bar.

I asked the nice bartender if he knew who recorded the song on their website. He didn't but he called someone in management who said Madeleine Peyroux which I knew was a very wrong guess. So, I had some pommes frites with a crisp Riesling while I thought about how to solve this maddening, little puzzle.

After a second Riesling and a bowl of moules mariniere, I realized it was time to ask Beth for help. (She's a friend I can send a birthday card to, claiming that we'll forever be friends, knowing, cross my heart and hope to die, that it is true.)

Beth not only has one of those super-smart phones but she knows how to use it.

I owe her. Readers, it is.................................The Beautiful South.

Whew! I'm going to sleep well tonight.




Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper 'I love you'
Birds singin' in the sycamore tree
Dream a little dream of me

Say nighty-night and kiss me
Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me
While I'm alone and blue as can be
Dream a little dream of me

Stars fading but I linger on dear
Still craving your kiss
I'm longing to linger till dawn dear
Just saying this

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be
Dream a little dream of me

(Wilbur Schwandt, Fabian Andre, Gus Kahn)


Steamed Mussels

12 to 16 mussels
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon, washed and quartered
2 tablespoons chopped garlic, divided
1/4 teaspoon or more red pepper flakes, divided
1/2 to 1 cup white wine
3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
Keep the mussels in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Wash them, scrubbing each under water to release any sand particles. (I use a toothbrush.) Remove any beard. Place in a clean dish and return to the refrigerator.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, lidded, saute pan. Add the lemon, half of the garlic and half of the red pepper flakes. Just as the garlic begins to turn blonde, add the wine, stir the mixture, and bring the heat up to medium high.
Add the mussels and cover. Cook about 5 to 7 minutes or until all of them have opened. Sprinkle with the rest of the garlic, red pepper flakes and parsley, adding a few grinds of black peppercorns. Give a quick stir and serve.
Discard any mussels that don't open.

No comments:

Post a Comment