Saturday, October 30, 2010

not your neighborhood cafe

Oh that I could. 

I'm talking about the Cafe Carlyle. 

Mr. Steve Tyrell has, for several years now, entertained holiday diners at the Upper East Side icon, following the death of Bobby Short. 

Most often two dinner shows a night, from early November through December, serenading guests with jazz standards. 

I've been looking at website photos of The Carlyle. Maybe one day I'll get to make the tough choice of listening to Tyrell in the Cafe or at Bemelmans Bar.  I'm leaning toward Bemelmans.  It's not that I'm intimidated by an extra fork or two in front of me; I just can't figure out how in the world I could possibly eat and listen to Tyrell at the same time.

Now relocated to his hometown Houston and about to be married, Tyrell showed up in Dallas the other night with his fiancee, so I found myself back at the Lakewood Theater. 















The show, although minus horns, was packed full of classics. Tyrell had me before Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered, but this night's GET-AFTER-IT version, was the best I've ever heard. 

The show was very much a Cafe Carlyle tour, the disc, STEVE TYRELL LIVE AT THE CARLYLE, available only at venues.  (If you find a bootleg copy, don't hesitate.) 

Following the performance, Tyrell patiently signed every CD, at a narrow table under the big stairway.




































Mr. Tyrell, I have a feeling, was as gracious at this eclectic, neighborhood theater as he probably is in the very posh New York hotel. 

For the themes he sings connect us all.  They've stood the test of time and still ring true.

No comments:

Post a Comment