Wednesday, February 9, 2011

...and many more


I call him...The Top

Solid he is.  And humble.  So humble.  I think that's what I admire most about him. 

I call us... My Wink, His Smile.  That's how it's always been for us.  He winks at me; it makes me smile at him. 

I picture us this same way in our eighties.  Some rainy, autumn evening when we're having breakfast for dinner, I'll warm up a few scones to go with the overcooked omelets, and Spoke, with his head in the refrigerator, will say, "We're out of marmalade!" 

I'll pause; he'll have me for a split second, but then he'll turn and wink.  I'll smile. 

I'll smile because I love orange marmalade.

And I love him.




"You used to call me the top....."
from You Turned The Tables On Me by Louis Alter and Sidney D. Mitchell, 1936


No comments:

Post a Comment