Thursday, December 8, 2011

a sleeping giant

















He reads to me now and then, from the book I gave him on his birthday in February.  It's The American Patriot's Almanac by William J. Bennett and John T.E. Cribb. 

For each day of the year, there's an essay describing an event which occurred on that day in our country's history.  Of my many gifts to Spoke, I do believe this book might be the most cherished. 

As he's shared bits of it with me, I've learned some entertaining facts such as when the rose was designated our national flower and why Abraham Lincoln grew that now famous beard. 

Spoke was especially somber though, when he read me the short entry yesterday, describing the attack at Pearl Harbor that Sunday morning, December 7, 1941. 

The words were potent, and I pictured in my mind, the young, courageous Yeoman Durrell Conner hoisting the American flag to signal the sailors to return to the flames and try to save their ship. 

Thank you, Spoke. 

I was awakened from a dull and drowsy day.  








No comments:

Post a Comment