Friday, August 17, 2012

a line was drawn


Baby did a bad bad thing, Baby did a bad bad thing
     Baby did a bad bad thing, Baby did a bad bad thing


It was an argument I still remember, Spoke and I firmly on opposite sides. 

As avid patrons, we tend to like the same films and we enjoy after the show, critiquing each element and dissecting all the juicy parts.  This was true for Eyes Wide Shut, the Stanley Kubrick film which I suspect if you watched, you either loved or hated. 

There are many early scenes with beautiful and handsome people in lush and gorgeous settings, the most stunning to me and the focal point of our bitter division takes place in the couple's bedroom; an intimate scene back lit in mesmerizing, blue light. 

Spoke and I had agreed on much about the film before our battle of the sexes slowly emerged, then escalated, each of us defending our gender fiercely, accusing the other of having watched with their own eyes shut.  We were dug in, truly unable to understand the other. 

I believe this to be the first and only time we were so vehemently opposed and agreeing to disagree was laughable.  As marriages do though, and not unlike the film's characters ultimately did, we let it go. 

I still listen to the soundtrack, a chivalrous, surprise gift from Spoke some year long after and I sometimes watch the film if it shows up on cable. 

I watch it late at night, by myself.  It's just better that way.  





Eyes Wide Shut, Stanley Kubrick, 1999
"Baby Did A Bad Bad Thing" Chris Isaak, 1995 

No comments:

Post a Comment