Sunday, February 14, 2021

cold hands, warm heart

There's a winter storm arriving this Valentine's Day. I'm here and she's there and it feels so wrong.

That said, everyone who knows me knows I don't view this, one of my favored American celebrations, as exclusive to romance. No!

Most every Valentine's Day finds me driving around Dallas delivering Bistro goodies to family and friends. Love is love is love. I was hoping the forecast would change last minute as it has a reputation for doing so here, but predictions for this storm are certain, and bordering on scary. No choice but to bundle up inside and keep myself good and cheerful company for the coming week.

Second cup of coffee and I'm savoring the scenes that cold and snow present: the nine sparrows in the crape myrtle tree greeting me this morning as I brushed my teeth, their feathers boasting chests to double their size, and the puffs from the heated house across the street, escaping from the roof vent into the frigid air, swirling like a strange smoky dance. Gotta find some good in this and the beauty is undeniable.

It's 17 degrees and dropping. W, just two miles away though it's a world away on black ice, sends me a valentine.

It is true; absence does make the heart grow fonder, even when you think it's impossible.

Wishing you all a warm Valentine's Day. Go spread some love if you can.


No comments:

Post a Comment