Thursday, April 21, 2011

noon day shopping

"Think like a cook, Becca," I said to myself, walking into Cotton's a couple of days ago.  I continue to end up at Cotton's when I can't get cooking.

It's Holy Week.  Maundy Thursday's coming.  It was Mom's favorite service.

I see Noon Day onions.  Small and smooth with a thin skin.  I'll start with these.  Maybe I just need a good cry.

Another one today.




An old chest freezer has been converted to a cooler and I slide the metal doors open to choose a head of romaine only because we're out of lettuce. 

I walk the twenty feet to the opposite wall.  Spoke will get a surprise jar of Sweet Fire pickles; extremely hot jalapenos with cucumbers which he likes to pile on sandwiches.  Holy Moly!

I spot walnuts.  "Fresh from California," the sign says.  I envision stuffing the Noon Days with a nutty mixture and baking them until the onions are super soft.




 

I love it when I think like a cook. 






Baked Onions with Walnuts



4 Noon Day (or small) onions
3/4 cups chopped walnuts
3/4 cups fresh bread crumbs, fine 
1/3 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese
4 tablespoons reserved onion, chopped 
salt and pepper
olive oil


Peel the onions, cut off the very top and scrape out a hole large enough to add the stuffing.  Place them in individual dishes or in one large baking dish.

Chop and reserve the onion pulp. 

Mix the walnuts, bread crumbs, cheese, and reserved onion pulp until combined.  Season with salt and pepper.

Stuff as much as you can into each hollowed onion, allowing it to spill over.  Drizzle the stuffing with olive oil, let it soak down into the onion and then drizzle more all over.  There should be a little in the dish, coating the extra stuffing.

Bake  in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the nuts are beginning to brown.  Remove from the oven and cover with foil.  Bake another 40 minutes or until the onions are soft when pierced with a knife.





No comments:

Post a Comment